Thursday, January 4, 2018

My 14 Year Old Self Picks The Top 10 1978 Albums



Blondie : Hanging on the Telephone



When I entered boarding school at age 13, I had a small mono cassette player and three albums: The Beatles Abbey Road, The Beatles 1967-1970, and Elton John's Greatest Hits Volume 2. Music would become my escape from high stress and low grades. By Christmas of 1977, I had joined the Columbia House Record Club and had enough of an allowance to buy one cassette a month. Still, my tastes were pretty much determined by what I heard on the FM radio.




The exceptions are Bloody Tourists ( Coming across a copy of How Dare You! in a public library made me an instant fan of the band); Stardust ( My dad played this one all the time so it appealed to me during weaker moments of homesickness); and Mr Gone ( which I bought at a Sam Goody's in New York City on a visit in the fall). It would still be a few years before I'd become a true music snob.

1. Blondie: Parallel Lines
2. The Cars: The Cars
3. Rolling Stones Some Girls





4. Dire Straits : Dire Straits
5. 10cc : Bloody Tourists





6. Gerry Rafferty: City to City
7. Talking Heads: More Songs About Buildings and Food
8. Wings : London Town




9. Joe Walsh :  But Seriously Folks
10. Willie Nelson: Stardust



Honorable Mention:
Weather Report : Mr Gone





No comments:

Post a Comment