Thursday, May 26, 2016

40 Year Itch : Samba of the Hills


Cartola : Preciso Me Encontrar


   Angenor de Oliveir had vanished. This major figure in Samba, nicknamed Cartola ("Top Hat"), had composed songs heard all over the radio in Brazil in the 1930s and 1940s but following the death of his wife and his descent into alcoholism he was nowhere to be found until a journalist named Sergio Porto discovered the old man washing cars for a living.
  Championed by Porto, he recorded his comeback albums. Cartola II is an end to end masterpiece , ranked as the 8th greatest Brazilian album by Rolling Stone.
   "Preciso Me Encontrar", featuring a bassoon  as its lead instrument, can be translated to mean "I Need to Find Myself". 

Its lyrics:

Let me go I need to walk 
I am going there to search 
To laugh not to cry 
I want to see the sun's rising 
To see the water of rivers running 
To hear the birds singing 
I want to be born, I want to live...


No comments:

Post a Comment