Wednesday, October 10, 2012

40 Year Itch: Round 2





[Purchase]

What a run Philly's Stylistics went on in the early 1970's! 12 straight Top Ten R and B singles. Nobody could refuse the syrupy falsetto of Russell Thompkins Jr belting his way through those great Thom Bell/Linda Creed tunes.




     The sophomore album Round 2, released in October of 1972, contains more big hits: the #5 Pop hit (#5 R and B) "Break Up to Make Up", the Top Ten ( R and B #4) "I'm Stone in Love with You", the #23 ( R and B #8)"You'll Never Get to Heaven (If You Break My Heart)" and a sweet cover of Carole King's "It's Too Late".

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing me that song this morning. I've not heard it in ages. And this morning I was just in the right mood to fully appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. The Isley Brothers also did a groovy version of "It's Too Late" on 1972's Brother Brother Brother

    ReplyDelete